Sunday, June 21, 2009

How to land for a decent job and work permit in Taiwan


How to land for a decent job and work permit in Taiwan?
Hi there? I am a Malaysian with US Business Degree, good academic background, experienced in Sales, Marketing and Research. Is it possible to fly to Taiwan straight away, then start look for a job and get work permit? Thanks a lot!
Taiwan - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
only if you are looking for a job as an english teacher for a nightmarish bushiban, then I suspect is it possible. Otherwise I would make contacts online and see if people have jobs open. You need to be more specific about what you are looking for. A lot of Malaysians are not treated well in Taiwan. Most Malays I have met are maids, many of whom have Business Degrees. Most of the other Malaysians here are in construction. If you have a US business degree, you should try to see if much is available there or in Canada or in other parts of the western world for you. If you want a good paying job in Taiwan (or anywhere in the world) probably you should go for an Engineering degree of one type or another. The universe already has too many business degree people floating around from what I can see, too many of which dont seem to have a clue of how to actually run their business effectively. Sorry, not you I am referring to. However, dont let my words get you down, if you are hard working, lucky and adaptable you can work where ever you want.
2 :
HI, You can start by putting up your resume at: http://www.104.com.tw/service_eng_more.htm You can come here for a while and look around. There are many new Hotels and Large Organisations that could use your services. Coming over here via Singapore is inexpensive on Jetstar . If you get a job and the application is put in for your permit, then you can get extentions here without having to leave the country. Once you have gotten your pass, you mighthave to take a visa run to HK and then return to Taipei.
3 :
I think those guys pretty much covered everything. Another thing is that it's not always 'what you know' but rather 'who you know'. When I first came here I got tough job in a Buxiban that wouldn't let me have the time to study Chinese and only gave me 1 day a week off work. I got married (to a Taiwanese girl I met before coming to Taiwan) and because of her I didn't even need a work permit. I even managed to get a job in a University - not on my qualifications (and I am qualified) but because my wife knew someone working there. This seems to happen a lot in Taiwan, people get jobs because of their relationships.