Monday, November 21, 2011

Can I get Taiwan citizenship if my mother is Taiwanese but I am over 20 years old


Can I get Taiwan citizenship if my mother is Taiwanese but I am over 20 years old?
I have an American passport/citizenship but my family lives in Taiwan and I (now that I have completed university) want to live and work in Taiwan for the foreseeable future. My dad is American and my mom is Taiwanese, and I am aware NOW that I could have acquired citizenship if I had acted before I turned 20 years old (when I still had my Alien Residence Card). Now I am 22, which makes me legally independent, and am forced to enter Taiwan only on a tourist visa that requires me to leave every 2 months (even though my family lives here and I consider this home). I love it here and want to live and work here, but the government makes it difficult to do either if you're a "foreigner". Is there an easier way to get Taiwan citizenship (since my mother is Taiwanese) than other foreigners who must, I think, live in the country for 5-7 years before they can apply? If there is, will I have to a) do military service and/or b) renounce my US passport/citizenship? Thanks for your help!
Immigration - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You need a Taiwanese attorney. I am not familiar with Taiwanese law, but would not be surprised if it were like Japanese law in this regard. Citizenship in most Asian countries is determined by ethnicity, not birthplace. In cases, of mixed parentage, paternal lineage takes precedent. Therefore, if Taiwan is like most of Asia, the Taiwanese gov't would consider you American for two reasons.
2 :
Taiwan does not recognize dual citizenship.. I's afraid you have to choose one. Better consult lawyer.
3 :
No Deport illegals, and keep the dream alive.
4 :
I suggest that you do some research on the Dual Nationality Forum on forumosa.com/taiwan/ http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewforum.php?f=66