Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Electrical or electronic engineering


Electrical or electronic engineering?
Hi, I am planning to take electrical engineering in the University of British Columbia (UBC). With electrical engineering, can I work in electronic and computer companies such as Asus, Sony, HP, etc or am I limited to working in companies that produce larger electric systems? Because UBC only have the traditional engineering such as civil, mechanical, and electrical so it does not have electronic engineering. Is it better to go with electrical or electronic engineering? I'd like to work in Taiwan where many electronic hardware are made.
Higher Education (University +) - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Electrical engineering is better . A more rounded education. The primary focus is on theory. You can concentrate on electronics if you like with the few free electives you will have.
2 :
Electronic engineering falls underneath Traditional EE. When you start your degree at UBC I am sure there are pathways to take that will lead you to electronic engineering. For example at UCLA there is Electrical Engineering with the following pathways: Integrated Circuits, Solid State Electronics, Power Engineering... Etc. If you choose IC's or Solid State, you will be an electronic engineer. its all the same stuff. dont worry. A degree in Electrical Engineering will get you where you want to be
3 :
I started at the U of Alberta in electrical engineering and found all they really taught was power generation and distribution. I wanted electronics and changed schools. That decision cost me about 20% of my future lifetime earnings but I was doing what I really wanted to do. Now, over 30 years later I live in LA and I design DSPs and PWM amplifiers for the professional audio industry for just under $100K a year. I am also on the board of directors of a background music company in Vancouver. As for working in Taiwan the normal process is to work with an importer that sends youover there for a couple weeks every couple months. Immigrating there is almost impossible unless you were from there originally. But you will be free to get a TN visa to work in the USA. After all, there are lots of things to design besides the cheaper consumer electronics. I give my all for Rock and Roll here in LA. I also have a patent on the control system for a field litchen heater that was designed for the US Army. THere is a lot more to the business than what Future Shop sells. So do whichever you like. Just be aware that there is almost no electronics engineering work in the west, some in Toronto but huge amounts of it in the US.